Have you ever experienced plumbing emergencies and thought to yourself how you could have prevented it in the first place? We all agree that plumbing needs special attention. Whether you stay in a house or not, you have to make sure that you take care of the plumbing issues all the time. Having a perfectly-working plumbing system requires only a little time and effort, but its effect is significant. All you have to do is do simple things now and then keep your eyes and ears open for any issues.
For the rest, you have plumbing experts from Rowson’s Plumbing Services at your disposal in Perth!
What do you do in a plumbing emergency?
Make sure that you understand what your plumbing is and check on its working. If you do this, there is a good amount of chance that you will realize when something is amiss or if there is a sudden change. Rowson’s Plumbing Services send professionals to Perth homes every year to assess the plumbing and tell you if repair is needed. Annual maintenance by professionals or regular checks on the plumbing system will give you a hold on its running and make sure that you do not have to spend wads of currency on some major repairs.
Keep emergency contact numbers of local plumber services handy. Please make time to research plumbing emergency services and write down their phone numbers, so you stay prepared. Ask your neighbours and friends for recommendations if they have used any such services and are happy with the result. This will ensure that you contact them to come over to your place without losing crucial time so that you can get help in time to avert a big plumbing tragedy and end up spending more than you can afford.
Steps to Take in a Plumbing Emergency
Don’t panic. Preparing ahead of time will help you get your act together. Your focus must be two-fold. First, ensure that all the house inmates are safe and make sure there is minimal damage to your home.
Like we said already, make sure that you have stored the emergency services and your plumber’s contact numbers so that you can call them even when there is mayhem in your living space.
1. Shut off valve: make sure that you and other family members know where the main water valve and the water meter is. Rush to turn it off in case you have any inkling that there is something amiss. Most valves turn off in the clockwise motion.
2. Call in the professionals: Contact your service company and tell them to call on you immediately. In case they will take time to come, explain your emergency so that they will instruct what you must do next. If they ask you to leave the premises because they consider it unsafe, make sure you listen to them and leave. You can wait nearby or at the neighbor’s till the time they arrive.
3. Switch off the water heater: if you use the hot water system, make sure that you turn it off and turn off the water supply. Running the water heater without supplying water will damage the appliance and overheat and turn it into a ticking bomb. If the water heater is gas-powered, make sure you turn off the gas.
4. Find the pipe leaking? A leaking pipe may not constitute an emergency. Try tightening it with only your bare hands to see if it stops the flow of water. Do not use tools if you do not know the basics. You can end up making a bigger mess and not know what to do with the collateral damage.
Most Common Plumbing Emergencies
According to plumbing services across the country, the three main emergencies relating to plumbing are:
2. Pipes that get damaged due to wear and tear or weather conditions and
3. Gas leakages.
More than 80% of these emergencies were preventable if the inmates were cautious and had listened to the warning signs. Plumbing negligence is one of the main reasons for obstructions in the pipes and drains.
Every household must post rules around the drains so that each member remembers what does and what does not go down the drain. For instance, nothing goes down the drain in the toilet; no tissues, no paper towels, and for god’s sake, no baby wipes! The kitchen sink can stay safe without the need to wash down any oils, fats, or cooked gravies. These things can clog the sink drain and can turn out messy and very costly to repair.
If you live in a cold place, insulate your pipes without failure. A pipe can become very cold and burst. A burst pipe is a big emergency. The best way to find out if a pipe in your home needs insulation is to locate them. If they run on the outside, do not hesitate to call plumbing services and get a quote to insulate them. Doing so will ensure they are in the best of health even when the air is nippy. Get an annual check on pipes located within crawl spaces or your basement, as most pipes get brittle with time than others.
Do not take emergencies lightly:
If you smell gas or suspect a leak, make sure you call in the emergency plumber immediately. Gas leaks are by far the most dangerous of all emergencies. Remember to evacuate seniors and kids to a safer place when you detect a leakage. Do not delay calling in the professionals on any count.
Cost of emergency plumbers in Perth?
Emergency plumbing services in Perth are not exactly cheap. But if you are looking for 24/7 on-call service that is insured and experienced, you must request your free quote from Rowson’s Plumbing Services. They have licensed and insured professionals who will call on you immediately to resolve your plumbing concerns—no call-out fee and only great service at an affordable price. Remember, water damage entails worse costs, and any potential charge of the emergency plumber will outright justify it.
Summer is the peak time for plumbing emergencies in Perth. Make sure you have some plumbing DIY kit on hand like Teflon duct tape and leak sealers that will take care of minor leaks till help arrives. Use Teflon tape to thicken the threads on the tap. If you find water pooling anywhere in the home or the garden without making out the source, call the plumber in without wasting too much time This especially if you are not a hundred percent sure how to handle it.